Sunday, November 25, 2012

Shedding Tears

I am a very private person when it comes to crying.  I like to do it in private, mostly in my bathroom, or late at night after I get into my bed.  In both cases the tears freely flow, and I feel much refreshed after I'm done with a good long, self-inflicted, pity party, downpour.

However, there are occasions when periods of tears sneak up on me, they start with a huge lump in my throat and before I know it tears are freely flow down my cheeks.  This morning I can give you a very good example of this, and I sincerely hope you will take a few minutes to watch this little clip.  Even if you have seen this before it is well worth watching again.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/vcmfCXwAFs4

The lump in my throat started when the first girl stepped onto the escalator.  And, by the time the song was over tears were streaming down my face.  I felt good, warm and fuzzy inside, and was delighted at the response of all the people who were entertained by these beautiful young women...imagine how those folks felt, and how these few simple, heart felt, up-beat moments must have changed their day.  The mom with a tired child in tow, a husband who would have rather been home watching football, the old couple feeling alone and un-cared for...how this little act of kindness must have changed their attitudes, spirits, and over all outlook on life.

This time of year I'm easily overcome with emotions over the most simple things.  The Clydesdale horses pulling their decorated wagon through the snow.  The young man arriving home on furlough, making coffee for his family as a surprise, or, those cute little Hershey Kisses Bells ringing out 'We wish you a Merry Christmas', with that last little kiss ringing its heart out....ending with a wipe of his brow and a whew.

So, if you happen my by place between now and Christmas you will no doubt find me in tears, because Christmas music pretty much makes me cry as well.  Take "I heard the Bells on Christmas Day"  that will cause the dam to open and many tears will reach my chin before I have time to wipe them away.  "Oh, Holy Night"  is another that will cause an avalanche of water. "Have yourself a merry little Christmas",  "White Christmas",  "I'll be home for Christmas" will all get me to blubbering.  Oh and anything by Mannheim Steamroller, or the local Singing Christmas Tree....(insert tears here, for sure.)

I guess you could say this time of year I turn into a puddle of melted butter, or soft sappy syrup.  I simply can't help myself.  I think the tears rather than being cleansing for myself and my well being, are more about  the things I have bottled up for the hope of humanity.  All these songs have such profound messages, that we need to listen to them not only with our heads, but with our hearts. I feel we all long for one certain something to touch us during this time of year.  Whether it is to be home for the holiday, or wishing that we could.  Or, if it's the bells pealing out for 'peace on earth good will to men', or that we have belief we will have snow on Christmas morning.

Christmas tears, are good tears, emotional gut wrenching tears, Mine I shed for you, with the hope it will be my tears that help make all your Christmas desires, hopes, and dreams come true.

Happy holidays, Merry Christmas, and as Tiny Tim said..."God bless us, everyone."



No comments:

Post a Comment