Sunday, November 11, 2012

Thankfulness

Brrrrr, it was cold when I went to bed last night, it is cold this morning.  The living room thermometer read 59 degrees.  Come on heat, do your thing.

This is my thankful for today.  Heat.  When so many people around the world have none, I can simply push a few buttons, turn a few dials, flip a few switches and magic happens.  Thank you Thomas Edison.

But mostly I am filled with thankfulness for my wonderful 'rice socks'.  I was kind of dreading getting them out of their special drawer because it meant I was going to be using them for months to come, however, last night I popped them into my Microwave, one by one, heated them up and slipped them between the sheets of my bed.

By the time I had put on my jammies and brushed my teeth they had heated up the bed quite nicely.  I slipped into my side of the bed and stretched out, with my feet I pushed one of the socks down around my chilly toes, stretched one out across my shoulder blades, and folded the other in half and placed it in the area between the bottom of my neck and my often befuddled cranium.  Oh, glorious, glorious heat.  Drifting off to a good sound sleep is sooo easy.

There is a slight problem, however.  Zorro does not like them.  Don't know if it is a smell thing, or a heat thing.  He knows they are under the covers, and searches them out, then takes his little nose and tightly pushes the covers around them as though he is trying to bury a bone.  Funny to watch.  He does not try to destroy them in any manner, I guess they are some kind of  'foreign matter' occupying his space and he's not thrilled.

However, once I am tucked under the covers, he is content, and curls up under the covers in the crook of my arm and goes to sleep.  So, between my 'rice socks' and our own body heat we have a very comfortable night's rest.

I realize there are different devises to be had from specialty stores and catalogs, that are lovely to look at and  have pretty hefty price tags that will do the same thing my homemade socks do. So, if you happen to have the bucks to by them I sure encourage you to do that.  I'm cheap...I simply bought rice in bulk, and used old stretch tights knotted at either end to confine the rice, not as pretty as the store bought kind but just as effective.

I must give credit to my sister, Linda, for telling me about this wonderful invention.  She had been telling me for quite some time about her 'socks' (also homemade) and I finally made some of my own.  So, she gets to share in this thankfulness post.  Thank you, Linda, bulk rice, and old stretch tights.  Come on winter, bring on your worst.  I'm ready.

Hey...I just thought...those exercise, stretch tights I bought years ago are finally serving a purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment