Friday, November 30, 2012

Tra, la, la, la, la.....la, la, la....la

It's here, it's here, it's almost here.

December...

the last but best month of the year....where did the rest of the year go???????

Today I feel like a kid left all alone in a candy store with a fifty dollar bill.

So here I sit trying to figure out exactly how to spend my December moments goggling...'er blogging, when there's a knock on my door.

There on my front stoop is a guy from UPS with a package...it was "A Partridge in a Pear Tree".

The card read that it was a gift from, 'MY TRUE LOVE.'

WOW!

What a great gift.  Partridges are edible, I know because I immediately went on-line and found a few recipes, that sound delicious.  Apparently you roast them, as you would a duck, chicken, or turkey, and smother them in bacon, mushrooms, and if you like a zesty flavor, you can drizzle lemon juice over them 'whilst' they are roasting.  Or, you can prepare a hardy stew with them by adding potatoes, onions, carrots and cabbage, perfect for the 'family home decorating' evening meal.

Poor Partridge.  Such a pretty little bird...sad he should end up in a roasting pan or cooking pot.  Perhaps I will keep him for a pet.

However, the second part of this gift is even better...it's a Pear Tree.  How delightful.  Who would not like to get a pear tree for Christmas. AND...WHERE IN THE WORLD DID 'MY TRUE LOVE' FIND ONE IN FULL LEAF THIS TIME OF YEAR IN ORDER TO HIDE A PARTRIDGE IN IT?

Aside from the fact I have no idea what to do with this tree til spring when I can plant it, chances are it will  eventually sit leafless in a room somewhere.  Also, considering my luck with growing trees I don't believe it will have much of a future at all...and will remain leafless, and lifeless in a pot somewhere in a back corner of my property.

Still, I do appreciate 'my true love's' thoughtfulness, I must think of something to send him in return.

Hmmm, can't wait to see what else might turn up on my stoop this month.

1 comment:

  1. Exciting! I can't seem to grow plants at all. Well, except for this plant that was a part of an original plant my grandmother had and she died in 1977! The thing's still alive and my brothers and I all have parts of it. Kinda cool I think. You'll have to let us know what you do with the partridge, can you believe I had to scroll back up to see how to spell partridge? haha.

    ReplyDelete