Saturday, November 17, 2012

Thankfulness


I know I already posted a blog this morning, but I feel compelled to write again.

I was talking with my sister, Nancy, on the phone a little while ago, and after chatting about this and that, I said, "I want you to know how proud I am of you."  She lost her husband last year around this time...I don't remember the exact day or date.  But I do remember the grace, beauty, courage, patience, style and humble acceptance she had during the time of her loss.  She and her family united under the comforting tent of their belief in God and His son, that 'for every time there is a season', and in their belief that Dick's ordeal was finally over and had crossed over to that place where we will eventually join him in a 'forever' future.

First and foremost, I believe it is her faith, and true trust in God that He would carry her load that saw her through her first year with such stunning strength and beautiful attitude.

But, I also believe our family heritage also helped as well.  We come from great, sturdy stock.  The Shaffers' are German, and though I can't accurately speak about their traits, we think one of their most (although not always in a good way) strong one's is stubbornness   Yes, tell us we can't do something...and I guarantee you, come heck or high water...we will.

While, on the other hand, the Peers' are French...although somewhat stubborn at times, we are also resilient,
"comme ci, comme ca" as the French would say.  We will do what we can in the moment we have and make the best of it.  Tomorrow will take care of itself.

It's kind of like three kids on a see/saw...one sitting on each end, while the third child stands on top in the middle of the board, and can direct which kid is up...which kid is down.  We are the kid in the middle.

I can trace the Peers' back as far as the Revolutionary War, when they settled in a place called Boonton, New Jersey, and the Shaffers' back to the mid 1800's when they arrived in New York aboard the ship Zurich, May 1, 1852.   This blending of cultures came together when dad met mom and magic happened.
German and French, both contributing to our upbringing.  We were taught tolerance, manners, work ethic, kindness for others, equality for everybody, to laugh at ourselves, and respect for all.

We weren't rich, but we weren't poor either, (I guess kind of lower-middle class).  Dad was strict, stern, but fair and quiet, very quiet.  Yet, he knew all.  Mom was stern, never raised her voice, and ruled with a good sized wooden spoon kept in a kitchen drawer, and when she spoke our full, official birth name...we knew she had HAD ENOUGH.

But, I digress....again.

The point of this blog is I am so proud of my sister and want to share that with you. I am thankful she made it through her first year alone, and for her beauty, kindness, understanding, sweetness, patience, and humor that helped her along the path.

Way to go Nancy....WAY...TO...GO.

No comments:

Post a Comment