Monday, November 12, 2012

Thankfulness

Last night as I was putting Zorro out for the last time, a small moth landed on the door jam.  Poor baby, it seemed kind of groggy, and I knew it was going to get smooshed when I closed the door.  In order to encourage it to move, I touched it thinking it would fly outside...it didn't...and disappeared somewhere in my kitchen.

This morning I found it on the wall next to my kitchen lamp.

I also have a shield bug in the house somewhere, it flew in over a week ago.  I'm not complaining you understand.  I don't have a problem with most creatures...except for maybe spiders, snakes and horses...but we won't go there today.

Anyhooo, my thankfulness today goes to insects.  Have you ever looked at....really looked at these magnificent creatures.  Oh, the intricate patterns.  Oh, the blended shades and hues.  Sometimes they are beige and browns, Sometimes bright blues and yellows, like delicate butterflies.  Even lady bugs have different styles and colors.  Millions of insects, all over the world...think about it...each one...unique, special, specifically designed with features to protect them from prey, and sometimes camouflaged to be prey...oh, the splendor.

I have a special fondness for moths and shield bugs.  Moths come in many sizes...some huge, some small, but no matter the size their patterns are all carefully designed by a Creator's hand...man might be able to draw and imitate them, but that's the best we can do.  And, as for the shield bug...oh, my.  They were created to look exactly like the shield of armor from medieval times, that protected the arm and body of a warrior going off to battle.  Was this tiny creature the inspiration for the shield?  Hmmm.  I wonder?

I could ramble on from now til noon, but I guess all I'm asking is that you give some thought today to our six legged friends.  Pick just one, perhaps the spittle bug, the aphid, the praying mantis, the dragonfly, even the honey bee; I'm thankful for them all, maybe you should be, too.




No comments:

Post a Comment