Monday, November 26, 2012

Move over hairspray

...there's a new kid in town.

I week ago I was chatting with a friend and mentioned how I was trying not to use hairspray much anymore, but I missed not having better control over my hair.

She mentioned I should try Hair Gel.  I said I have even thought about that, but having never used it I was not sure if I could get the hang of that, and that maybe it wouldn't work very well.

Surprise...I eventually did decide to at least check Gel out, and the next time I went shopping at my refurbished Fred Meyer's store I went to the hair products aisle.  Oh, my gosh, I could not believe the products...for an old lady who has for years been a cheap shampoo/conditioner, one brand only hair coloring and cheap hair spray kind of gal, I went into culture...'er...coiffure shock.

There's stuff to enrich your hair, strengthen your hair, straighten your hair, add body to your hair, bring out the natural curl to your hair, color the roots to your hair, and on and on and on products.

My cart and I had pretty much clogged the aisle, and I was so lost in my thoughts that when a young woman walked up behind me, it took me a few seconds to moved my cart out of her way.

She politely said I was fine, and added she was looking for a new hair dryer, that her husband had finally, and at last blown their ten year old one out the night before...they badly needed a new one.  So while she was searching the products behind me I was still standing there like a deer in the headlights wondering whether to take flight, or fight.  I finally asked, "Do they still make Hair Gel?"

She replied they did indeed, but they didn't have a special section, the hair products were lumped by manufacturer, so I needed to look for a specific brand.

"Oh, dear."  I said, and started to walk back to the beginning of the aisle.

She took pity on  me...I must have looked perplexed as all get out.

"This is the brand I use," she stated, "although, I don't need or use their Gel."

She lead me to a brand I recognized immediately.  You know the one with the cute Kangaroo, that carries all their products in it's pouch...but loves to share.

"Here it is."  She said pointing to their Gel.  "And, look, it's on sale."

And, it was...boy, was I excited. I told her I was going to buy the two, and with her recommendation, I would definitely give their other products a try.

I thanked her profusely, and left her standing there trying to make her own decision...man, there are a lot of hair dryers, too.

Picture this, everyday, ever since my Gel purchase, I'm trying to learn how to use the darn stuff.  Too much, and my hair clumps together...I look like the young guys that walk around with 'spike' hair.  Too little, and I don't have the proper amount to complete my 'do'.  So, I never know exactly what my end result is going to be...but no matter what, it is much, much, much better than trying to coiffure first then glue it into place with spray.  Gel stays wet much longer and I have time to fool around with my hair until I am at least 75% happy with my result.  I'm getting better, but there is still a long row to hoe.

I think I'm getting to old for all this nonsense, and I confess there are days I'm tempted to shave my head and go buy that adorable pink wig I keep seeing in my neighborhood wig shop.

One of these days....
one of these days.







2 comments:

  1. you know what, you might want to try hair wax. it's not as stiff as gel and it works really well for that kind of messy look you were describing. And it doesn't all clump together. It stays relatively pliable through out the day so you can re work it if need be :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to tell you, work it in from the roots to the ends, not the other way around, although you can use some extra on those rascaly parts that won't behave.....I did hair many moons ago, man it seems like forever!

    ReplyDelete