Wednesday, January 2, 2013

It's a new day...

...and a new year.

One could not ask for a better way to start a new year than to have a beautiful blue sky, crisp breeze, and a  toasty warm house.

Well, actually the house is not toasty warm at all.  It was not constructed to handle those gusts of wind that blow down the gorge, so my furry friends and I spent most of yesterday snuggled under a home made afghan, stirring occasionally to grab a bite to eat, or get a fresh cup of coffee.

I channel surfed most of the day, watching the Investigation Discovery channel, or Storage Wars.  Have I mentioned I like Storage Wars?  Especially Barry.  He is so adorable, I could squeeze him to death.  In one of the episodes he came charging in on a motor cycle.  I was so surprised, I forgot to look at the bike...see, I told you...he's adorable.  His mom is a hoot, too.  He pretends he is annoyed with her, but I can tell they have a special bond, and that only makes him more endearing.

I also noticed the advertising...OMG...I must have watched more than 150 commercials for diet programs.
JOIN FOR FREE....MEALS WILL ARRIVE AT MY DOOR....ALL I HAVE TO DO IS EAT.   And, here I thought the reason for dieting was not to eat.

Oh, oh, and coming in second...exercise equipment...that I can pay off in monthly installments...there must have been 150 commercials for them, too.  In just fifteen minutes a day...the weight will literally ooze out of the bottoms of my feet; all I have to do is walk.

And...the pills...oh my gosh.  Down a pill every morning...I need not do one single thing more, and the fat will  magically disappear from my body.  No kidding...I saw the pictures...that yellow goo just melted away.  One woman gushed that her husband was so thrilled he sputtered "Look at you!!!!!"  As though this miracle pill had somehow transformed her into Gina Lollobrigida.  Good luck with THAT.

And coming in last...all the commercials for liposuction, laser treatments, tummy tucks and face lifts.  I'm telling ya',  my credit card could have been smoking...even if I had just tried a few of these tempting offers.  It was easy for me to see the day was aimed at all those folks who in a drunken stupor New Year's Eve had avowed to lose some weight and get into shape in this bright and shiny new year.

According to the TV ads, it should be 'a piece of cake' to shed those extra pounds.  'A piece of cake'  funny, that was just about the only thing I didn't see advertised yesterday.  Cake plus cookies, colas, ice cream, chips and cheese.

I'm hungry.  Hmmm, I wonder if that miracle pill works?

I'm coming chips...I'm coming cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment