Thursday, January 10, 2013

Morbidity

It surprises me I have a morbid side.  I've no idea how long I've had this trait, but ever since I started watching the Investigation Discovery channel I'm constantly amazed how horrid we humans can be.  The ways people come up with to destroy other people are so disgusting I can't even begin to write about them, and wouldn't anyway, because we see it on the news every single day.

I've noticed the ID channel has started running a show called Ice Cold Killers.  Each show revolves around some horrible incident that has taken place in Alaska...Alaska...Alaska.  The last American frontier.  A place of magnificent beauty, serenity, and wide open spaces.  I admire the people who live there in conditions I, frankly, find hard to imagine.  There are communities with no phones, electricity, comforts I take for granted every single day of  my life.  Could I live there?  I don't think so.  Way to wild for me.

I could have gone across America in a Conestoga Wagon, and believe I did in a former life, I've got that kind of pioneering spirit.  But somehow I can't envision myself loading up a rental truck with all my personal belongings and hauling my  wrinkled, sorry, a-- up a long, lonely, dark, secluded highway, to live the rest of my life in the long, lonely, dark, secluded wilderness that is Alaska.

I've always envisioned our 49th state to be the most safe to live, people friendly, seclusion acceptable, everybody doing their own thing in the most innocent of ways, simply showing the human race still has the perseverance and independence to survive the  most primal conditions.  So, how could one person be so horrible to another in such a magnificent atmosphere?  Check out Ice Cold Killers, and you will find out.  I tell ya', I was devastated to discover there is evil even there.

Which brings me back to today's blog title.  Morbidity.  What the heck is the matter with me?  I was so struck by the evil in Alaska, I could not, not watch.  Each violent act filled me with disillusionment and sorrow.  I always thought the rest of the world would could go to heck in a hand basket, but beautiful pristine Alaska would forever be the place to escape to, it would always be a safe, secure harbor in the sea of evil.  Not so, not so, lunatics are everywhere.

So, if you don't want to become disillusioned, and your mind's eye still has that secret place where everything is well, don't watch the Investigation Discovery channel.  I hate to say, I'm kind of addicted it, but I don't want you to be...so, don't start to watch...it will fill you with morbidity.

No comments:

Post a Comment