Sunday, January 6, 2013

Portlandia

I was talking with my daughter Karen last night on the phone.  We do that about once a week, and it is amazing that the conversations sometimes last for an hour and a half.  We discuss just about everything under the sun.

Last night the conversation eventually got around to TV and she asked me if I have ever watched the show Portlandia.  I told her I had just recently begun to watch the show 'on demand' through my cable company.

"Oh my gosh,"  she exclaimed "I think it is my favorite show."

She even said it made her a little homesick, seeing some of the scenes they show of the Portland area.  We were curious why they didn't include the SW area, and I giggled and said the SW area was 'not the in place to be' in Portland.  It's a good place to live...but suburban 'dullsville' as far as activity goes.

However, if you want to get an honest idea of what it is like to live in Portland, and get to know the kind of people who live here Portlandia is the show for you.

I think a lot of people still think we ride around in horse drawn buggies, and have outhouses in our back yards.  I can assure you that is not true.  We are very, very modern...all the amenities anybody could ask for.

But, our outstanding qualities are; we are quirky, unique, incomparable, and according to one of our TV stations, UNSTOPPABLE.  We are, we are!

We don't 'bundle up' unless the temperature is in the 20's.  We don't use umbrellas.  We wear shorts year round.  We actually use public transportation.  We are fitness freaks, (health clubs, gyms abound,) we walk rain or shine.  We are 'green', love Starbucks, and as eclectic as 'all get out'.

And all this brings me back to my conversation with my daughter.

She said, she appreciated she was born in California, an actual native there, but that having grown up in Portland she could also appreciate the quaint humor of the show Portlandia.

I told her, "Yes, I think you have to be from the Pacific Northwest to appreciate it the wry humor and honesty of it."

To which she responded she was glad and she guessed, "You can take a girl out of the Portland, but you can never take Portland out of the girl."

Well said, Karen, well said.

So, folks, if you want to know what life is like here, tune in to Portlandia.  Like Brits poke fun at themselves through humor, we do too.  Try it, you just might like it.



No comments:

Post a Comment