Saturday, January 26, 2013

Peanut Butter, Apple Sauce Toast

I love the days I don't know what to write about here in Ramblings of an Old Woman. When, 'fooooom' something unexpected happens, and a story falls on to my blank page.

This morning I opened my refrigerator door and discovered, except for condiments there is very little in it.  I'm hungry...what in the world can I have for breakfast.

Well, there is a loaf of rye bread, there is a huge jar of peanut butter...and a container of home made apple sauce.  Great!  A few slices of rye toast with peanut butter, and a little apple sauce...yeah, that will work.

So, I whip out the toaster, warm the bread and spread the peanut butter across both pieces.

Next, I stare at the apple sauce.  Why not put the apple sauce on top of the peanut buttered toast?  Good idea, saves dirtying a bowl, and a spoon.  Carefully I spread the apple sauce on top of the peanut butter.

I take the first bite...dang...that's pretty good.

On the way to the office I manage a few more bites, not bad.  I'm pretty proud of my new endeavor.

Uh-oh.

I'm halfway through the first piece of toast.  Suddenly, the apple sauce has started to slide off the remaining half.  It is oozing over my fingers, down the creases of my cupped hand...and...around the corners of my mouth slip-sliding for my chin.

Oh my.

Mercy me.

This wonderful experiment has turned into quite a slippery mess.  Juice is dripping off the edges of the remaining piece of toast turning the paper plate into a shallow pond.  Eeeewwwwww-eeeee.  Yuck!  Gross!  The toast is getting soggy...I don't like soggy bread...I hate soggy bread.  My fugal self is now in great conflict with my 'if I take one more bite, I'm going to throw up self'.  What am I going to do?

I lift the remaining piece of toast toward my lips...apple sauce sliding about...closer, closer the toast comes to my mouth...I hear my mother in my head.  "Just one more bite, honey, just one more bite. Remember the starving children in the world."

Sorry, mom,
sorry starving children,
I simply can't do that 'one more bite'.
Just like my peanut butter, jelly flavored coffee creamer,
this experiment is headed for the trash.

No comments:

Post a Comment