Sunday, January 20, 2013

Well, there was this giant....

Frankie comes into the office.  "Where's Michelle's chocolate and caramel sauces?  I want some for my coffee.

Oh my, I'm in a heap of trouble.  Think Sandra, think...think fast.

I swivel around in my chair.  "Well, it was the darn-est thing...when I got out to the kitchen this morning ...there he was."

Frankie:  (Arms akimbo---I love that word---a-k-i-m-b-o.) "Who?"

I like to talk with my hands, too, so I take this opportunity to wave my arms about showing Frankie just how large this fellow was.

Me:  "He was almost 8 feet tall, an inch more and he would have had to walk around the house head tilted to one side.  He was kind of dressed like Robin Hood, with a brown leather jacket, forest green tights, and a hat with a feather that swooped way beyond the black felt.  I think his boots were black felt, too. There was a quiver of arrows flung over his right shoulder and a crudely crafted bow hung next to it.  Oh, oh, I forgot, in one hand he held a steaming mug of coffee while the other held a lyre".  Yeah, yeah...a lyre...that's the ticket...good imagination, Sandra.

Frankie: (Leaning against the door jam.)  "And,...go on."

Me:  "Well, I was startled beyond belief, who expects to find a giant in their kitchen first thing in the morning."
Frankie:  "Go on."
Me:  "Well..." (I take a deep breath.) And, continue.

Giant:  "Good morrow, kind woman.  I bid thee a good day."
Me:  "Huh?"
Giant:  "I trust it does not displease thee I have plundered thy kitchen.  Shall I make amends?"
Me:  (Quizzical look on face.)  Who are you?"
Giant:  "I, madame, am a figment of your imagination, that will come in quite handy in about ten minutes when your imaginary friend 'Frankie' discovers you have already devoured every drop of your grand-daughter's chocolate and caramel sauces.  Forsooth, I am prepared to take the blame. Tell her, 'twas I,'  that drained the tankard's that held the sweets, pouring them into the best warm refreshment that has ever passed my lips.  She will believe thee."

Poof!  The giant was gone.

Frankie:  "Enough already!  That was good tale, I can't even be mad at you.  Although I do wish the giant had left at least a drop or two in the tankards that I might have had one more 'sweet warm refreshment' pass my lips as well."

Frankie:  (Leaving the room.)  Geeze...that woman....I don't know what I'm.....
Me:  "Whew."


2 comments: