Monday, April 9, 2012

Blackberry Puddin'

Recipe for blackberry puddin'

Remember a few days back I reported on pudding cakes and how disappointed I am that they are not the same as when I first started buying them?

No, yes?

Well, whatever.

About twenty minutes ago I had a lucid moment and remembered a recipe I used to make a lot, especially in the summer when fresh fruit was plentiful, and close at hand.  I don't know why I ever stopped making my own pudding cakes...just lazy I suppose.

Anyway, I've decided to post that recipe here, it is fairly easy to make, and delicious.  The pudding always falls to the bottom of the cake while it bakes, and while the recipe does not call for a confectioner sugar (lemon concentrate, milk drizzle,) I'm pretty sure that would work.  How come I didn't think of the drizzle before?

This recipe comes from a cook book I bought for a buck a be-jillion years ago, called MA'S COOKIN' MOUNTAIN RECIPES (spiced with mountain customs, sayings and superstitions.)

Here ya' go:

Blackberry (any berry will do) Puddin'
Sounds kind'a good, don't it?  Try it, it's real good.

2 cups sugar
2 cups flour (recipe says sifted flour...I never sifted flour, ever.)
1/3 cup margarine
2 cups boiling water
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk
2 cups blackberries (any berry will do.)

Cream the sugar and margarine together.  Add the flour, baking powder, salt, milk, and mix well; put into baking dish.  Then pour berries on top, and then pour 1 cup of sugar and the 2 cups of boiling water over the berries.  Bake in moderate oven 350 degrees until top is golden brown.  It will take about 40-50 minutes depending on your particular oven.  While the cake bakes, the berries, sugar and water sink to the bottom of the cake and becomes the consistency of a pudding.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment