Friday, April 20, 2012

Spring



Suddenly, one morning every spring, a glance outside shows the landscape in sharp three dimension, today is that day.  It’s like looking through a “View Master” (Registered Trademark).

During the winter my choices of color are few, browns or soggy tired greens.  The scene appears flat, two dimensional, like the words on this page.  It becomes sooo, boring, tiring.

So, come late January, I begin to scan the garden soils for the first glimpse of chartreuse green.  I examine the flowering plum and the cherry tree ever hopeful for the first orchid tinted bud.

The pussy-willow always first to show me winter is breathing its last; I watch tiny grey kittens walk along its branches.  Once the kittens mature to cats and drop to the ground, every tree and shrub has already begun to fill the void.

In fascination, joy, and excitement I watch Daphne, forsythia, flowering quince, ashes, alders, apples, and dozens more sleeping trees and shrubs awake to join natures orchestra of color. And, after several days of ‘warm up’ there is a sweep of The Master’s baton, a crescendo follows…my world comes alive with the music of vivid hues...swelling…creating depth, shadows, pinks, blues, yellows, purples, reds, greens, oranges of every conceivable shade…all joining together for a grand finale, heralding….REBIRTH, SPRING. 

No comments:

Post a Comment