Friday, April 27, 2012

Frankie's in love

I know this is crazy, but I have to share.  My dear, dear, dear Frankie is in love.  She's been mooning around the house since Monday night...I've never seen her like this, it's kind of scary.  Whereas I have a thing for firemen, she has a thing for the the three guys on the BBC America show "TopGear".  I've spoken about these Blokes before, with their 'boots', 'bonnets', 'tarmacs' and 'hammerheads' we are both great fans.

However, after Monday nights TopGear  there is a new show called "Crash Course" in which Richard Hammond, of TopGear, had come to America to learn how to use all manner of huge equipment.  The gist of the show is to see if he can conquer a company's equipment in three days and pass a test to be qualified to operate said equipment.

At some point in filming for this series Richard was in Oregon.

OMG, Frankie went ballistic...she did not know he was here...and was reeeally put out that I had not told her.  Shoot, I didn't know myself.  She ranted, she raved...she carried on in a manner unbecoming a woman of her gentile age, (you would have thought he was Frank Sinatra for heaven sake).  

Anyway, he was here to learn how to operate logger's machinery.  I don't recall the name of the company he was with,  however, the owner and employees of this company were having a wonderful time showing Richard the ropes.  Literally!  His first job was to climb fifty feet into a fir tree, hook a rope through a pulley, and descend the tree.  This was to show how they are able to direct a tree into a good 'fall' position.  After that he, with great glee, he was ready to tackle the mechanical equipment.

I have to admit, he tried hard, and did okay...but not terrific.  Frankie and I gave him a B+ for his great effort.  Come the third day it was obvious Richard was very nervous about passing the test and things did not go well.

With fifteen minutes of 'test' and about twenty minutes of show left, I glance over at Frankie.  I've never seen her like this...it was kind of scary...her pupils were dilated, she had torn her tissue to shreds, and she was at the edge of her seat.  I knew I dare not interrupt her concentration.  I thought she might have a heart attack.
When the test was over she sank back into her chair exhausted.

She looked at me with great relief and announced (I swear I saw a tear in her eye) she was going to bed.

Frankie:  "I can't take it...when those trees fell on the cab of that machine...I thought that dear, sweet, man was going to die."
Me:  "Frankie, you know they would never show anything like that, so you have to remember they will do everything they can to keep him safe."
Frankie:  (Face getting flushed)  "I don't care...that really scared me, he's so adorable, funny, cute, and, and...I love his accent....she starts moving down the hall.
Me:  "Frankie, ( I call after her) I do believe you love more than his accent.  I believe you love HIM.
Frankie:  SHUT UP!

And so the week has gone.  Frankie all loopy, me enjoying the teen-ie-bopper phase of her crush.  I'm tolerating her 'Richard did this, and Richard does that' conversations.  Cause, I remember my first crush, too.

FYI, mine was Jimmy Dean.



No comments:

Post a Comment