Sunday, April 29, 2012

Potato

Once upon a time, there lived on the bottom shelf of my supply cupboard in the morning room, a potato named Penelope.  She live in hope week after week I would notice she was becoming older, frail, and beginning to wrinkle...much like the writer of this little story.

After living in dark conditions for so long, tiny white eyes began to appear along her weathered skin, and at last she began to smell...and not a pleasant one either.  So it was, that I noticed not Penelope, but the odor she had begun to emit.  It took a while for me to discover where the smell was coming from, and finally did one morning when I had to retrieve napkins from the cupboard.  And, there, bedraggled and tired, I saw poor Penelope, I hate to be so morbid, but I have to say, she was in the throes of breathing her last.

I scooped her up, and contemplated tossing her into the trash, when I saw the tiny specks of life, those eyes, desperately showing me how much Penelope wanted to survive.

It was winter, I couldn't plant her outside, she would either freeze to death, or be eaten by all the insects still struggling to survive themselves.

What could I do to help Penelope?

I suddenly remembered the box of potting soil out in the garage, so I gingerly, and at arms length, carried her to the garage and plopped her into the box of soil.  Then, I turned, walked away, and, promptly forgot all about her.

Now we all know that stories that start with "Once upon a time..." have to have a happy ending.  You ready?

Yesterday I was out in the garage, and saw that one of the curtains I had hung to hide garage mess, including my box of potting soil was bulging out.  What in the world could be causing that, and why had I not noticed it before?  I pull back the curtain...and there was Penelope, not only had she survived the winter, but was 'looking good'.  She had rooted, was firmly anchored into the soil, and had begun to put out, strong, healthy vines, with leaves beginning to open in a lush, chartreuse green.  

I considered moving her outside into the garden, but decided she knew what was best for her, so I simply threw back the curtain so she could get the daylight that comes through the garage door windows.  I feel very badly I had so neglected Penelope, and even forgotten where I had left her.  Shame on me.  How lovely she had not held a grudge, and is now trying to offer me a gift by growing in such an unbecoming place.  I have no doubt if I now pay attention to her, she will repay me by supplying me with a few children of her own.

Where upon, I will be faced with an even more difficult dilemma, should I eat her children, or replant them to allow another generation to grow.  I do believe I just might......

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment