Sunday, April 15, 2012

TopGear


Anyone who knows me well knows, my favorite TV channel is BBC America, and that my favorite show on it is called TopGear.

The three stars are, Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May.  I am sooo in love with these middle aged men I cannot express it in words.  They are funny beyond funny, and petrol-heads to the nth degree.  I don’t know how much of the show is staged, like the weekend they went ‘caravanning’, but I adore these three men (who should know better than to get themselves into such predicaments).  I watch these shows over, over, and over again, simply because I catch something new every single time.  Like, when I re-watched the show where they were dropped into Iraq, and had to travel by beat-up old cars from there to Jerusalem to present gold, frankincense and myrrh to Baby Jesus. 

These men are loved world-wide, and I’m pleased to report they got there safely, although Richard got the ‘trots’, Jeremy got bitten by something, and James ended up in the hospital for an overnight stay. 
Toward the end, they reach the Sea of Galilee, and spend the night there.  Come morning Jeremy announces he is JC, and promptly heals James (he took the bandage off his head), cleanses his own arm (took the bandage off), and prepared a breakfast of loaves and fishes.  (It’s a good thing Richard does not like fish, as Jeremy was only able to provide two.)    

Let me interject here, all three men were genuinely touched to be in these holy places, and they were so touched by its beauty.  It was almost as though they could not believe they were really there.

But, this is a factual, though sometimes comical show, and this one ended with an unexpected, flourish.

Eventually, they are able to come up with their gifts for Baby Jesus.  Richard, gold (I think it actually may have been), James, frankincense (hotel shampoo) and Jeremy (myrrh…a substance no one had apparently ever heard of…so he bought an electronic game instead…sure Baby Jesus would be pleased.)

They enter Bethlehem, in their battered, beat-up vehicles, and find the Baby Jesus, Mary, Joseph, and even three shepherds.   Finally, embarrassingly, they present their presents to the baby…and here is the staged part…they are back in England and totally surprised to find it is not the Baby Jesus in the manger, but The Stig, in baby form.  Watchers of the show will know The Stig is the shows professional race car driver.

By now the show is approximately six minutes over their allotted time, and they hurriedly wish everyone a Merry Christmas, and good night.
 
I think I will do the same…Merry Christmas and good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment